Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Lamb #1 - Maggie

I've decided to do a series of posts showing how each of my little lambs have grown. It is amazing to me how big they have gotten in just a few months. Also, it is surprising that the moms are still nursing each of the lambs! After talking to other sheep people, I decided to let the moms wean them naturally. I was told that it would be less stressful and since I'm keeping them all anyway it makes the most sense...as long as everyone is happy and healthy.

Anyway, post number one starts with Kellane Farm's Magdalena (Maggie). She is my favorite of the lambs as she is very sweet and precocious. Whenever I clean the pen she follows me around and nibbles on my pants, begging for me to scratch her chest...which can get a wee bit annoying since it slows things down a bit!
Two day old Maggie standing in her mommy's food dish

April 30, 2009 - 11 days old

June 2009 - 2 months old

July 2009 - 3 months old

Even though it is now August, she has not changed any since the last photo was taken. Another thing about Maggie is that she looks just like her daddy...which is somewhat sad for me since I made the horrible decision to have him slaughtered about a month ago. I'm sure this is shocking to some people, but - quite frankly - he was a mean ram and I was afraid he was going to hurt someone (or another animal). The bright side is that he gave me 5 beautiful, sweet little ewes to love!! I won't have any lambs this coming spring, but I'd already decided not to not breed this fall anyway. Hopefully I will be able to find a nice adult ram or ram lamb next year!

No comments: