Friday, January 15, 2010

Catching Up

Sorry for the long hiatus. I really haven't had a whole lot to blog. For the past two months I could have pretty much just typed "Today I bundled up, ran outside to quickly feed/water the animals before dashing back in to homeschool Evan, do housework, and knit by the fire." However, after receiving emails from various people wondering if I'm okay, I figured it's probably time to give an update!

The first thing I want to mention is that my chores have been made a lot easier this winter - thanks to two wonderful items: YakTrax and Marmot Randonnee gloves. For those of you who have farms and/or do a lot of outside chores in the winter, I highly recommend that you purchase both of these things!

YakTrax: Last year I practically killed myself slipping and sliding on the ice and snow. I knew about the YakTrax back then, but didn't bother to order a pair. WHY?!? I have absolutely no idea. However, I can attest that it is incredibly nice to be able to walk around outside without fear of breaking an arm or leg!

Marmot Randonnee Gloves: Perhaps this item won't be as important to some people...and if you follow the link and see the pricetag on these puppies then you might find me a wee bit insane. I must point out, though, that I have hand "issues." Several years ago I had two separate hand surgeries. As a result, I have poor circulation and my hands are cold all of the time. I cannot even begin to estimate the amount of money I have wasted on various gloves/mittens over the years...some of which weren't exactly cheap. I would barely be outside for two minutes and my fingers would be aching from the cold (even with silk liners on underneath)! SO, I went on a mission. After a day's worth of internet research I came across the Marmot Randonnee gloves. The pricetag made me cringe, but I searched until I found a pair that were on sale (for 40 bucks less than the usual cost). I placed my order and impatiently waited for my gloves to arrive in the mail. It was well worth the wait. I've FINALLY found gloves that keep my fingers warm. Yippee!!
I'll leave you with a couple of cool photos that I took in the sheep pen today. The first two are of a sheet of snow/ice that has slid off of the wind break for the sheep. It has been that way for over a month now, so it is pretty substantial!


A shot into the shelter from the back.

Well, that's all for today. I'll try to blog again soon...I promise!! :)

No comments: