Thursday, March 25, 2010

Bathing - Donkey Style

For those of you who haven't had the pleasure of owning donkeys - or even hanging around them for some time - you are probably unaware of one of their unique habits: the dust bath. Donkeys seem to think that they are not "complete" without a fine layer of dust on their bodies. Indeed, mine will let me brush them for as long as my arm can hold out (have you ever tried to brush two donkeys at once? It's kinda like patting your belly and rubbing your head at the same time). However, as soon as I'm done they promptly go roll in the dirt! Their paddock has several patches that are worn down and swept smooth from where they take their numerous dust baths each day. They do it so often that it wasn't hard for me to catch a "bath" in action. Yesterday I shot these photos of Sweet Pea having a good 'ole time:

Down she goes!



Hey! What are you looking at?!?

Now, doesn't she just look gorgeous?