Saturday, May 7, 2011

Lucy Finally Delivers!!

This morning at 7:00 a.m. I was awakened by a loud, sharp "Baa" from Ella.  I jumped out of bed and ran to the window to see what was going on.  Lucy was in the hut near a large dark spot and as I watched her she kept circling around and smelling it.  She then started making the low "baaing" noises of a ewe in labor.  I threw on my clothes, grabbed my lambing bucket, and headed outside (Kirk was home this morning, so he joined me).  We stood and watched Lucy for about 40 minutes - until it became clear that she wasn't progressing.  I called my vet, but unfortunately she couldn't come because she's having a seminar at her clinic today.  After about 40 minutes of trying to deliver the lamb on our own (with the assistance of a friend - thanks Yogi!), Kirk and I gave up, put Lucy in the back of the truck, and drove to the vet's clinic.  The vet also had a bit of trouble getting the first lamb out (which gave me some consolation since she has been doing this for over 20 years)....and unfortunately the little white ram lamb was dead.  She had no difficulty pulling the second lamb - a healthy large white baby girl. 

It pains me to lose a lamb.  As I've said before - that is the worst part of being a shepherdess.  The sense of helplessness when I realize there is nothing I can do is overwhelming...and I cannot help but second guess myself when something goes wrong. However, as several experienced shepherds/shepherdesses have told me: "you can't beat yourself up over it because these things happen."  I just have to chalk it up as another lesson learned and move forward.

We have not made our final decision yet, but this little girl might be staying here at Kellane Farm.  If we do keep her, she will probably be named "Kida" - which means "blessed" in African and "raising away the darkness" in Kiowa Indian.  The idea for the name came from my daughter...the Disney Princess fanatic.  Kida is the princess in "Atlantis: The Lost Empire."  It is one of the names that I had listed in the poll for the new black ewe, but Kaia was the winner.  I think that a name with the meaning "blessed" is very fitting for this little girl!!

Here are some photos of the new cutie pie:
Catching some zzz's...after a tumultuous
birthing experience and 40 minute ride in a pickup!
Sweet Baby Smile!

 
Sweet Kisses from Mommy

2 comments:

Artful Gathering said...

Sorry for the loss of the baby.. But am rejoicing with the new life.. Having animals can be bittersweet... Hang in there. Dawn

TDawn Maddox said...

sorry for the loss of the little ram...but congrats on Lucy's new daughter! She's beautiful!