Thursday, June 2, 2011

New Kids on the Block

With all of the excitement of the lambing season, I've been remiss in blogging about the new black lambs that arrived at the end of April.  These absolutely gorgeous sheep came from Fuller's Hamps and Downs in South Dakota.  They were born last fall and were ready to go to their new homes at the beginning of the year.  However, around that time I had surgery and needed six weeks to recover.  As it turns out, Marc and Mary Ann Bellazini of Campo di Bella Farm in Madison, Wisconsin also purchased lambs from the Fullers and planned to pick them up at the end of April.  Jody Fuller put me in contact with them to see if they would be willing to drop my lambs off on their way back home (Black River Falls is just off the interstate on the way to Madison)....and they very kindly said "yes!"   

The naming poll results ended with "Kade" for the ram and "Kaia" for the ewe.  This is very interesting because Kirk and I have a good friend named "Cade" and my college roommate's name was "Caia."  Both names are very appropriate for these sheep.  Kade is very timid (his name means "gentle") and Kaia is very sweet and naive (her name means "pure").
Kade and Kaia

hmmm....since he won't move out of the way,
I wonder if I can go OVER this thing to get away from the scary lady

Sweet Kaia

Handsome Kade


No comments: